Thursday, September 2, 2010

In Honor of the College Football Season Kickoff

This soundbyte never gets old to me. It's my favorite thing to say to Steve:

Who doesn't love Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy's press conference hissy fit? I'm a man! I'm 40!

Here, Coors had a little fun with it:


My other favorite football phrase, courtesy of Terrell Owens: "That's my teammate, [sob] that's my quarterback." [A single tear rolling down the cheek]


And if we're on the subject of football players crying like little girls...


Oh no, she didn't! I forgot it's against the law to make fun of Tim Tebow. Here's a peace offering:

"Santa Claus writes letters to Tim Tebow."
"Lance Armstrong wears a Tim Tebow bracelet."
"Tim Tebow ordered a Big Mac at Burger King, and got one."

I'm an Auburn graduate, and the child of two LSU alumni, so my love for SEC football runs deep. It seems that most fans of an SEC team hate all or most of the other SEC teams, but living in Texas I have developed a fondness for these schools I considered rivals. That's what happens when you move to a foreign land where people don't know what the SEC is, they think Auburn University is in Georgia, and, upon learning I am an Auburn grad, smile and say "Go Eagles!" I don't correct them. I also don't correct people who say "Roll Tide" to me because they assume that since I'm from Alabama that I must be an Alabama fan. I just smile and say "Roll Tide".
You may think I'm a traitor, but trust me, you'd do the same thing. These people don't want to hear me clarify my allegiance and explain the rivalry. They really don't care. On the upside, I never run into folks with Crimson Tide-related tattoos (not that I don't think they're lovely)
This body art is mystifying. The first thought that enters my mind is that when this dude gets a back pimple, it looks like The Bear has a zit. That's crazy. I have to respect his commitment though. There isn't any person, place or thing that I would pay tribute to with that much body art.

Speaking of "Roll Tide"...there's a Birmingham-born comedian named Rickey Smiley, and he used to host a morning radio show in Birmingham. He is known for prank calls and a character named Buford, who is a die-hard Bama fan from Alabaster. Buford sings a song called "Roll Tide". It's hilarious, I don't care who you pull for! Fast forward ten years...I've recently moved to Dallas and am feeling kind of homesick. Searching the radio stations, I discover Rickey Smiley's morning show in Dallas, and just as I land on the radio station, "Roll Tide" begins to play. It made me feel like I was back home! You wouldn't believe how happy this song made me:

No comments:

Post a Comment