Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Crossing Another of the List

Note: Post contains subject matter of a purely "pregnancy" nature. Nothing graphic, just dull. They can't all be winners, right?

I've worked in the salon and spa industry long enough to lose my grip on reality and consider massages and pedicures as necessary to life as getting the oil changed in my car or brushing my teeth (and I mean daily, Jessica Simpson!) Nevertheless, I strongly believe in the benefits of getting both massages and pedicures on the regular, which is why I included on my list of 101 Things, #93: Get a Massage.

Massage is generally recommended for all healthy pregnant women beginning as early as their 10th week. Certainly, you would want to run this by your doctor and use your best judgment. Also, be sure to choose a massage therapist who is certified in pregnancy massage. There are certain techniques and pressure points that are to be avoided in pregnant women. There is my disclaimer. I'm responsible, y'all!

I've had probably five massages during my pregnancy so far. It is so relaxing, and a great way to take care of myself during a pregnancy that has been filled with so much discomfort. Massage has many benefits, including reducing stress, lowering blood pressure, improving lymphatic drainage (we're talking about cankles, ladies!), soothing tired, sore muscles, and working out all the kinks, aches, and pains that come with growing a human. I leave feeling relaxed and possessing an overall sense of well-being. Soon enough, everything I do will be for my little guy. I'm indulging in a little "me time".

I decided to include this on my list and write about it because well, if all the pregnant ladies are out there having massages and pampering themselves during pregnancy, they aren't talking about it. I am here to sing the praises of pregnancy massage and encourage others to treat it as a part of their prenatal care, not just something that you do once during pregnancy if a thoughtful friend gives you a gift certificate. Take care of your baby's mother!

No comments:

Post a Comment