Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Things I'll Miss About Being Pregnant

I know, I haven't always spoken favorably of pregnancy. I haven't particularly enjoyed it, but that's ok. I would do it all again to bring this little man into the world. I certainly have a list of things I won't miss about pregnancy, but I thought I would take a break from being a Negative Nancy and publish a post about the things I will miss about pregnancy.

1. Never a bad hair day. Thanks to prenatal vitamins and pregnancy hormones, I have like, three head's worth of hair right now. It's shiny, bouncy, happy hair. Apparently hormonal changes after the baby's birth will cause me to lose a lot of it, so for now I am enjoying it. While we're on the subject of physical appearance, I'd like to give a shout out to my belly button. It's the one body part that hasn't disappointed me during this whole experience. It didn't get all big or turn into an outie. It's still a cute little innie, and it's the only thing about me that is cute and little. So I'm thankful for that.

2. Excuse to just sit. My "give-a-damn" is busted, so lucky for me people's expectations of me are at an all-time low and it's perfectly acceptable for me to remain seated, prop my feet up, and relax.

3. (Mostly) guilt-free eating. Pizza? Cake? French Fries? Might as well.

4. License to stay home. I RSVP'd "no" very seldom during this pregnancy, but other than those events like birthday parties and weddings, we did stay home a lot more than we normally would. I must say, I have rather enjoyed myself and I think Steve would agree.

5. Preggo camaraderie. There's nothing quite like it. I've made new friends and reconnected with old friends through the bonds expectant mothers share. It's been lovely. Learning that a friend is expecting, and later hearing "It's a girl!" and finding out the name they've chosen is more exciting for me than an American Idol elimination show.

6. The pitter patter of little feet (in my ribcage). I think the ability to bear children is a privilege and an honor, and the experience of feeling those kicks, flutters, and rolls from a little baby is indescribable and something that men (and women on I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant) will never know. And that is as mushy and philosophical as I will get regarding this matter.

7. Getting the last lettuce wrap while eating with friends at P.F. Changs. It'll never happen again.

8. Time to take care of business.  Nothing incites a sense of urgency like the impending arrival of a new baby. We had a running list of home improvements that just continued to build like an avalanche, and since we've been preparing for the baby's arrival, all of those items became top priority and were completed in quick succession. Now we are bringing Robinson into a lovely family home and I have such a sense of accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment