Monday, October 4, 2010

Birthday Treats

So, I've been craving a blizzard from Dairy Queen for about five years now. When Steve and I were dating, we used to visit the Auburn Dairy Queen on Sunday afternoons. I would get a chocolate chip blizzard, and he would get some sort of rich, chocolate brownie/cake/hot fudge sundae thing that would give him a tummy ache. Good times. We are subjected to these DQ commercials every day, but we don't live within 30 miles of a Dairy Queen...until now!

My neighborhood finally got a Dairy Queen, and Steve was there to celebrate the moment. He said there were 100 cars in the parking lot, and at least 20 cars in the drive-thru at all times. I guess the entire town has been craving a Dilly Bar. Unfortunately, the chocolate chip blizzard is not a menu item, and the rookies didn't know how to make it. I had prepared Steve in advance for this possibility, so he brought home my second choice Blizzard: Butterfinger. Yeah, we take our frozen desserts pretty seriously. In case you were wondering, a chocolate chip Blizzard is made by coating and partially filling the inside of the Blizzard cup with the chocolate used for the hand dipped cones. It's heavenly.

So, that was my birthday treat. I said earlier that there usually isn't much hoopla surrounding my birthday, but the dessert is something I never skip. It got me thinking about some memorable birthday cakes over the years. If this were an 80's sitcom, this is the part where you'd see wavy lines on the screen, signaling a daydream/flash back...

My Great Grandmother's 7-up Cake
So yummy, that I've asked her to bake it as my birthday cake more than once.

Yellow Cake with Chocolate Frosting
This is the perennial favorite of mine. It's Duncan Hines, but made with love by my mama.

Johnny Ray's Bar B Que Chocolate Pie
In Birmingham, Alabama I grew up on Johnny Ray's and Jim n Nick's Bar B Que, and they both serve the yummiest chocolate pie. One of my favorite desserts, I once requested "birthday pie" as a child

Cheerleader Cake
Ok, so it was my school's colors--orange and black--and it had my name on it, but this white-on-white confection is reminiscent of my birthday cake when i was 13. And it was delicious
Baskin Robbins Ice Cream Cake
For my 14th birthday, my family surprised me with my cake. My brother chose a Baskin Robbins ice cream cake: chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream. He knows me so well! It was delicious, but we only got a slice before Hurricane Opal knocked our power out for four days and the cake slowly melted into a sloppy mess in our freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment