Friday, July 9, 2010

Captcha Some Dirty Words, Why Don't Cha?

Y'all know what Captcha is, don't you? Here's Wiktionary's definition:

A distorted image of letters and numbers used to prevent automated use of websites; Anything that a human must do to prove that they are not a computer

This is what Captcha looks like:

Every time I post a link to my blog on Facebook, I have to complete a Captcha request. Usually the words are very innocuous, like the words above, "contribute" and "of". The Captcha words I have been asked to type for the past two days make me wonder if Captcha has hired a juvenile crop of summer interns, perhaps Beavis and Butthead, to select the words.

Yesterday's words: "cumstance" "asside"
Today's words: "get" "perverts"

Google says "cumstance" and "asside" are not even real words. Spellcheck agrees. I had to double check to make sure they aren't actually some rarely spoken SAT vocab words and that I'm the one with the filthy mind. What in pottymouth hell is going on here?

Am I the only one being sexually harassed by Captcha?

1 comment:

  1. No, me too! I have had about twelve conniption fits in the past week trying to figure out where the hell these machines are coming up with this crap! I mean, how can I prove I'm a human trying to post legit content if the machines are trying to trick me with fake words that make me giggle?!

    ReplyDelete