Thursday, December 16, 2010

My Christmas Playlist

Ok, so I told you my world is like a Christmas village, filled with holiday cheer. Pre-Robinson Samantha would make a list of the worst Christmas songs, but since I'm all joyful and whatnot, I'm making a list of my favorite Christmas songs. Sorry to disappoint.

Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree, Brenda Lee
This is a quintessential holiday tune. Can you imagine the "party" scene in Home Alone with a different song?

Jingle Bell Rock, Bobby Helms
I love the Hall and Oates version almost as much. They definitely make a great video, but I love this song because it's just so happy.

Baby it's Cold Outside, Dean Martin
This song is a classic, but in the wrong hands it can play as really campy (I'm looking at you, Jessica Simpson). Dean just makes it cool. He also sings "Silver Bells" better than just about anybody out there.

The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late), The Chipmunks
Steve doesn't care for this one, but I'm a fan because it brings out the kid in all of us.

All I Want for Christmas is You, Mariah Carey
Most of the Christmas songs we all know and love have been around for generations, so it's no small feat for an artist to break through and bring us a Christmas anthem the way Mariah did in 1994. I dare you to listen to this song without smiling. It's even better watching her perform it now. She's all pregnant and happy!

White Christmas, Bing Crosby
Favorite version of my favorite Christmas song, from my favorite Christmas movie!
Have a Holly Jolly Christmas, Burl Ives
Here's a beloved Christmas crooner. Wasn't he the voice in Christmas claymation classics Frosty the Snowman and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer? Love.

O Little Town of Bethlehem, Jewel
Jewel is truly one of a kind. This is an absolutely gorgeous version of one of my favorite religious Christmas songs. The entire album is fantastic. Also worth a listen: "O Holy Night" and "Ave Maria".

Christmas at Ground Zero, Weird Al Yankovic
This one's for Jarred. We loved when Vh1 aired this video at Christmas time (we loved when Vh1 aired Christmas videos period. Hell, I'd settle for any videos at this point. Except for that Kesha girl.) It's from the early 90's and is a delightful little diddy about celebrating Christmas during nuclear war. The video features old footage from Cold War propaganda films and the song includes lyrics like "I'll duck and cover with my yuletide lover underneath the mistletoe". My brother and I were sick, twisted little kids I guess.
Please Come Home for Christmas, Aaron Neville
Have you experienced the velvet embrace of Aaron Neville's voice? This is like the Christmas song version of a Nora Ephron romantic comedy.
[sidenote: I do a delightful Aaron Neville impression. It sounds sorta like Aaron Neville impersonating Cher impersonating Aaron Neville.]

Auld Lang Syne, Susan Boyle 
Here's another holiday classic that people love to eff up. It's hard to find a truly beautiful version, but Susan's angelic voice is perfect for this song

No comments:

Post a Comment