Friday, March 12, 2010

About a Boy

Ever since the news broke that our wolf pack will increase by one, friends and family have naturally been curious to know more. So with that in mind, I thought I would take a moment to share some baby facts. I don't know all that much about the little tyke, but I'm happy to share what I do know:

  • It's a BOY

  • He is due to arrive July 17, 2010

  • He is currently the size of a papaya and is able to hear noises outside the womb. Also, he has nipples.
There's a little papaya graphic for all you visual-types out there, courtesy of The Bump. He is progressing steadily through the produce section of Kroger, but apparantly he's hovering at papaya for the next few weeks. I'll keep you posted on his progress.

Folks have asked if we plan to have one of those really cool 4D photos taken before he is born. The answer is, in a word, "no". While I was super anxious to learn whether to buy dresses or overalls and paint the nursery pink or blue, I prefer to be surprised as to what he's gonna look like. I like to imagine that he looks like a miniature Steve, but I have also prepared myself for other outcomes:
  
Take a moment, allow that image to sink in. Now practice your very most sincere "Oh my goodness! He's just darlin!" What are the odds of me giving birth to my very own ginger kid? 50/50, according to that Punnett Square I learned about in 10th grade biology. Thanks, Mrs. Harmon!

I've noticed that every pregnant lady I know has just the sweetest little nicknames for their unborn babies. And I realized that I had assigned each of those nicknames...to my dogs. Want to know the latest on my precious little nugget, monkey, peanut, punkin, munchkin, boo boo, sunshine, honey, sweet pea? No you don't. Those are all nicknames for George (my wittle man), and you've heard enough about him. (I call the girls "sis" and "little britches".)  It's as if I never planned to have children. I also gave all my baby names to my dogs over the years, which made name selection all the more challenging. I did not rule out naming my baby after one of my dogs. Luckily, it didn't come to that, and with no adorable nickname handy, The Baby has been called by name since the day we learned "It's a boy!"

Robinson Reid

Named for Lester Robinson "Bob" Reid (1931-1992), my maternal grandfather, it's a name that Steve and I both loved, it has all kinds of nickname potential, and it's a lovely way to honor a family member. (This is the point in the Q&A where people typically ask, "What are you going to call him? "Robinson" certainly ranks high, but Steve also calls him "Robbie", I call him "Rob", and the guys at Steve's shop call him "Robbie Ram Jet". Don't ask.)

No comments:

Post a Comment