Thursday, April 29, 2010

My Top Six Pregnancy Movies

Aww, you guys...
Let me just say, today has been an epic fail. Four hours of sleep, work felt like drudgery, obstetritian appointment was tedious, and I'm overheating as I type this. Oh, and my Us Weekly is late for the second week in a row. Heads will roll! The best part about the last 24 hours is that, while lying in bed last night, Laney climbed up next to me, rested her head on my bump in the exact spot where Robinson was kicking, and she laid there for about 20 minutes with her ear pressed to my stomach while the baby played Guitar Hero in my belly. It was soooo sweet! All that being said, today's post is a little more haphazard, but what can I say--they can't all be winners. I have a feeling this post will be riddled with spelling and grammatical errors, but let's throw caution to the wind and talk about pregnancy movies!

It may seem obvious, but movies about pregnancy are a bit of a favorite for me these days. For funsies, I've compiled a list of my favorite pregnancy movies. Some of them are indie flicks and maybe you haven't checked them out yet. I own almost all of them on DVD because I just love them. This may not seem like a very well-rounded list because all of these films were made within the last five years, but I can't help it that the quality of the film sub-genre has improved so dramatically during this time. This is my list of favorite pregnancy movies, and I happen to have 6. That's why it's not a "Top 5" or "Top 10" and it isn't ranked or comprehensive. The heart wants what it wants, yes?

Knocked Up

"Are you the lady who doesn't realize she's pregnant until she's sitting on the toilet and the kid pops out?"

Hmm...what can I say about this movie that hasn't already been said? It's hilarious, well-written, well-acted. Do I need to give reasons why I enjoy this movie? I like it in spite of Katherine Heigl. Yeah, I'm going on the record: Not A Fan of the Heigl. She can go sell "arrogant" and "ungrateful" someplace else. I haven't got time for the pain. Ugh, I need to be put down for a nap, I'm so cranky.


Baby Mama

"You know what? I wish I was at an Arby's 'cause there's better food and cooler people there! "

I said I'm not ranking these films, but this one is my favorite. The first time I saw it, I considered it just "pretty good", but for some reason it gets better each time I watch it. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler are terrific together, but I also made a realization during my fourth or fifth viewing of the film. Amy Poehler's character, Angie, is like the human embodiment of Libby. It hit me during the scene where Angie, wearing a sports bra and yoga pants, is loudly and enthusiastically singing karaoke in the living room, surrounded by snack wrappers while dyeing her roots. Tina Fey's character, Kate, realizes that pregnant Angie is bleaching her hair (big no-no) and puts her in the shower to rinse, where we see Angie crying, "I'm clean! I'm clean!" and feebily trying to fight back. That's so Libby. I could probably write an entire post about the parallels between Libby and Angie, but I'll spare you. 

Away We Go

Verona: "I can't believe you told your mother about my tilted uterus!"
Burt: "I didn't know your tilted uterus was a secret."
Verona: Yes, my tilted uterus is a secret!

Ok, in the interest of full disclosure (this is a truthful blog) I feel the need to say that I love this movie more than anyone else I know who has seen it. Jarred classified it as "rentable", and sort of gave me the side-eye when he found out that I own it. That being said, I love this movie. Directed by Sam Mendes (American Pie Beauty --typo, but keeping it--also, Kate Winslet's soon-to-be-ex-husband) the film stars Maya Rudolph (love her) and John Krasinski (love, love him) as an expecting couple looking for a place to raise their family. It includes a great cast of supporting characters, and has a great message about love, family, and defining both on your own terms.
 
Junebug

"I don't want your water breaking. We just had the upholstery cleaned."

Amy Adams is one of my favorite redheads (definitely top 3), and her Oscar-nominated turn as a pregnant young woman living in the south was so endearing and lovely, I just want to scoop her up and take her home with me. It's got a definite "indie flick" feel and it's a drama, not a comedy, but I think it's worth seeing. I think Steve kinda liked it. I think Steve would kinda like watching Amy Adams read the phone book.
Juno

"Yeah, if I could just have the thing and give it to you now, I totally would. But I'm guessing it looks probably like a sea monkey right now and we should let it get a little cuter."

This is a film for everyone who was ever a plucky, precocious, pregnant teen. What? You've never known anyone who fits that description? Diablo Cody's Oscar-winning screenplay (starring an Oscar-nominated Ellen Page) is touching and filled with the witty repartee. Every time Steve sees it, he shakes his head and says, "Nobody is that clever. This girl does not exist. Funny movie, though." The soundtrack is not half bad. Cat Power's cover of "Sea of Love" playing after the baby's birth has me doing the ugly cry every time. Every. Single. Time.

Waitress
Old Joe: "Are you with child?"
Jenna: "Shush!"
Old Joe: "I saw that look on a woman's face before. Her name was Annette. I made sweet sweet love to her all through the summer of 1948, and she had that look on her face all through the fall."

I'm gonna curl up in bed with one of my mutts and watch this movie right now. I saw Waitress in the theater with Steve. It is surprisingly funny with a quiet sweetness and is not just one of my favorite pregnancy movies, it's one of my favorite movies of all time. I only wish I had written it. It's brilliant. This is Keri Russell's greatest performance as a small-town waitress in an unhappy marriage who finds herself unexpectedly pregnant. It features Jeremy Sisto, Cheryl Hines and Andy Griffith ,who are all perfection. Enjoy it with a slice of pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment