Saturday, April 3, 2010

A Bed for an Eggplant

Ladies and gentlemen, I am 25 weeks pregnant today! That means I'm taking my victory lap for the second trimester and preparing to embark on the final leg of this marathon journey - the third trimester. [cue dramatic music - make it the Chariots of Fire theme]  What can I tell you about Robinson today? Let's see, he is the size of an eggplant. That's a respectable piece of produce in my opinion, so I'm pleased to learn this. Also, his eyes are forming...sort of thought that happened already when they told me last month that his face was "fully formed" (is a face complete without the eyeballs? I think not), but I'm glad it's happening now. Steve was able to feel him kick for the first time this week, so that was exciting.
We purchased his crib last week. It's a real beaut'. Straight from Pottery Barn Kids, the "Kendall Crib" arrived via UPS on Thursday. I expect we'll be putting it together within the next couple days. And by "we" I really do mean "we", but we'll see how that goes.

I know, you can't exactly visualize what our darling boy's nursery will look like based on this, but let me just tell you, the search for this crib, simple as it is, was aggravating enough to make me consider using a dresser drawer instead (hey, it was good enough for my Nannie.) The thing that was most frustrating was that I was not particularly picky. It's not as if I had imagined this fantastic, perfect crib and then went off in search of it, settling for nothing short of greatness. It's a crib, people. I just wanted something safe, sturdy and affordable that would fit in with the decor of the room. This includes my mom's gliding rocker and my dresser from childhood. This proved to be a tall order. I searched high and low, and everything was either too big, too dark, too expensive, too light, too flimsy...I felt like Goldilocks. I needed a crib that was just right. And when I finally found it, Steve didn't question me for a second (he must have heard the relief in my voice that our seach was over) and so he agreed to the purchase of a $400 crib that he had never seen before.

It truly is a relief and a great accomplishment to be able to cross this item off our to-do list. I would have never imagined how stressed out I would feel over not being able to find the right crib. As I would search store after store I would think, "Great. I can't even choose a crib for the kid. How will I handle actual parenting? I'm a failure already!" Now that the crib is here, I'm back to feeling like a Supermom in the making.

No comments:

Post a Comment