Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I'm a Grown-Up Now

There have been many occassions where I thought to myself, "I'm a grown-up now." Turning 18, graduating high school, grieving the loss of my childhood pets, graduating college, landing my first big job, getting married, moving away from my hometown...

I am sure everybody has experienced that feeling of being older, grown-up, and mature. There is no set timeline for these personal realizations, and there is so singular rite of passage or milestone that makes somebody a "grown-up". I'm sure you can all think of specific people in your life who serve as proof that "grown-up" things like working in a high-pressure career or having a child do not automatically make somebody a mature adult.

In recent months, I have gone through a lot of changes that make me feel different, and more like a grown-up than any of my previous milestones or achievements. In the past twelve months, my high school graduating class celebrated our 10-year reunion, I became a mother, celebrated my fifth wedding anniversary--which is something of a milestone--and this year, I turn 30. I could consider it a "perfect storm" for creating personal growth, but I have begun to notice changes--some subtle, some very profound--that on many occassions have made me feel my age.

As I run down my mental list of future blog topics that I will write about whenever Robinson's naps allow for it, I find this grown-up metamorphosis I'm currently experiencing to be a recurring theme. This is why I am writing this post, as a sort of introduction to what I guess will be a new series. I'm even creating an "I'm a Grown-Up Now" tag on the blog to collect the posts. I think a lot of people who read my blog are probably experiencing these same things, regardless of age or your station in life.

When did you know that you had officially joined the ranks of the "grown-ups?"

1 comment:

  1. I'm right there with you...well, kinda. No hubs or kiddo yet, but that's a whole other series. ;) Can't wait to read your posts!

    ReplyDelete