Friday, April 22, 2011

The Robster is Nine Months Old

Nah, I don't actually call Robinson "The Robster". I'm just trying it out. You know, because "Robster" rhymes with "lobster". And since he has red hair, I could call him "Red Robster". No? That's a terrible idea? Fine. Let's talk about Rob's nine month check-up, shall we?
 Height: 29.5" (95%)
Weight: 20 lbs 3 oz (50%)
Head: 18" (75%)

Laney is so over it. She wishes she was at Arby's, cause there's better food and cooler people.

The doctor recommended I offer Robinson a greater variety of foods to introduce new textures. This is something I've attempted, but Rob has been resistant and so I backed off for fear that I was pushing something he wasn't ready for. Also, Robinson already has toys designed to develop fine motor skills, but apparently these toys have too subtle an agenda and I need to buy toys that are more obvious in their purpose. The doctor explained that some babies, often little boy babies, don't develop their fine motor skills quite as quickly because they're like "cave babies". Does that mean that they like to bang blocks against other blocks while grunting? Yes. Yes it does. He has opposable thumbs, he just doesn't need to use them. Get it?

Since Rob was in good spirits, I took him to Buy Buy Baby and Kroger, where I bought clothes and age-appropriate toys for his Easter basket and baby food, respectively. While settling Rob into the shopping cart at Buy Buy Baby, I noticed a mother with a preschooler and a toddler exiting the store empty-handed, while the mother carries the toddler who is mid-tantrum. I don't know the details, but I gathered from the brief exchange I witnessed that the tot wanted a toy that Mommy wouldn't agree to buy, and the tot was voicing his objection. Big sister, who is all of four, decides to seize this opportunity to steal a random item from the store. Over the tot's screams, Mommy says "Hannah Elizabeth, put that back!" Mommy has eyes in the back of her head. She's kind of my new hero, I'm not gonna lie.

I just remembered that I forgot to buy Lean Pockets at the grocery store. Damn it. What am I going to eat now? I also bought all of the ingredients to make a sour cream cake...except the sour cream. Isn't that just perfect?

...and now there is a crashing sound in the kitchen. Robinson just pulled a large, oval-shaped copper bucket off the bottom of the baker's rack onto the kitchen floor. He's been fascinated with it for some time. I should have moved it already. The allure of the copper bucket proved too much for Robinson. I felt the same way when I bought it.

He's into everything now. He grabs items off the grocery store shelves. He loves the dogs' water bowl, looking at his reflection in the dishwasher door, and pulling up on anything that has wheels or a hard or sharp surface to fall onto. And if you ever looked at those safety outlet covers and wondered "who would ever play with an electrical outlet anyway?", the answer is "my kid."
"I want to go to there."

1 comment: